He was a knockout striker from Canada, and he fought in the UFC from 2012 to 2015, even appearing on TUF 8. But in 2016, Ryan Jimmo was killed in a road rage incident, and his killer was finally sentenced to eight years in prison.
The details are aggravating. After mowing him down, the assailant made every attempt to hide the evidence. These actions prompted the judge to tack on an additional two years on what would’ve been a six-year sentence for manslaughter.
Here’s the Edmonton Journal:
The 26-year-old man who pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the hit-and-run killing of mixed-martial-arts fighter Ryan Jimmo will serve eight years in prison and lose the ability to drive for eight years following.
Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Paul Belzil Monday morning sentenced Anthony Getschel to six years for manslaughter, with another two years added for fleeing the June 2016 scene near 101 Street, in what he described as a “complete tragedy.”
“One man died for nothing. Absolutely nothing,” Belzil told the courtroom filled with friends and family of both Jimmo and Getschel.
Belzil said Getschel’s actions were senseless the night of Jimmo’s death and “leaves one shaking one’s head.”
Getschel struck Jimmo with his truck and then fled the scene, hid the vehicle and reported his licence plate as stolen, according to an agreed statement of facts previously heard in court. He turned himself into police around 1 a.m. on June 28.