Wanderlei Silva accumulated a 35-12-1 record in MMA, including championship stint with PRIDE FC at the height of Japanese MMA. The Brazilian, now based in Las Vegas, also enjoyed a memorable run with the UFC, which included five bouts which were named “Fight of the Night.” Among them was his last fight, a knockout victory over former WEC light heavyweight champion Brian Stann in 2013.
But unfortunately, Silva has become better known for his conflicts outside the cage since then.
Silva had a falling out with UFC, and was banned for life by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for (essentially) fleeing a random drug test in 2014. That ban has since been overturned, but Silva’s feud with the UFC — which, according to Silva still has contractual rights and refuses to allow him to fight elsewhere — seems to have no end in sight.
Earlier this month, Silva accused the promotion of fixing fights at the conclusion of UFC 189:
Fake fights !! We will gonna be wwe, this is finish the line , I am so sad!
— Wanderlei Silva (@wandfc) July 13, 2015
They fired ‘Stitch’ for standing against this theft being perpetrated on the athletes. So I wonder, ‘why don’t they fire me?’ I already said I do not want to, nor will I work any more for to this promotion. And they won’t dismiss me. That’s what happens to those who speak the truth in this company; they’re driven out. They have no respect for anyone. I’ve made it very clear to you all that I will never again fight for this promotion, the U.F. Circus. Fixed fights – and I can prove it! I haven’t yet dropped the bomb. I haven’t said everything I know!
(translation by our friends at MMA Junkie)
Silva didn’t elaborate — but hopefully there’s more to come…