twitter google

UFC Says Aldo/McGregor Is On! We Think… So, Just In Case…

UFC Says Aldo/McGregor Is On! We Think… So, Just In Case…

The UFC issued a statement last night to address the issues regarding the main event at UFC 189, to take place July 11 in Las Vegas.

Reports had been circulating that UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (pictured above, right), who is scheduled to face rising star Conor McGregor at the event, had sustained a rib injury. The Brazilian was said to have sustained a break — and would possibly shelved, not just for next month’s show, but until the Fall.

Well, have no fear. It seems the fight is on, says Dana White (seen above, left) and company.

We think.

But, just in case, the promotion has announced a “contingency plan.”

The statement, which is archived on the UFC website, reads:

“In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.”

This, of course, flies in the face of what was reported earlier.

The statement goes on:

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete.

UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas.

So, the fight is on. Unless… it isn’t. Then we’ll see an interim championship bout, which is strange, since the champion fought in October 2014. In the past, it’s been a full calendar year of inactivity which drove the decision to create an interim championship.

But — for now anyway, the fight is on. Stay tuned.

Share This on Facebook

Follow Caged Insider