After over six years of wandering the EliteXC/Affliction/Strikeforce/World Series of Fighting wilderness, former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski will return to the Octagon on June 14 at UFC 174. Hooray! When not getting KFTO, “The Pitbull” is a pretty popular and exciting fighter.
To get you excited for Arlovski’s return (he’ll be facing Brendan Schaub), here a trip down memory lane to his very first fight in the UFC. Heck, this particular UFC – UFC 28 – was pretty historic for a number of reasons. And here they are!
- UFC 28 was Arlovski’s first fight outside of Russia.
- Arlovski’s opponent back then was Aaron Brink; UFC 28 was Brink’s first and only appearance in the Octagon. He fought in other organizations after that, and then went on to become a porn star.
- UFC 28 was the second-to-last UFC done by parent company Semaphore Entertainment Group. By UFC 30, Zuffa was the new owner of the organization.
- UFC 28 was the first UFC event sanctioned by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board and the first UFC to use the Unified Rules.
- The event featured the only UFC appearance by Mark Hughes, Matt Hughes’ twin brother.
- The event was also the second UFC I’d ever seen live (the first one being UFC 17). Giddyup!