Calling all top ten welterweights, an opportunity has arrived to become a top contender. Josh Koscheck has been forced out of his UFC 151 co-main event with Jake Ellenberger due to a bulging disc in his back, according to Fuel TV’s UFC Tonight. Undoubtedly, UFC match-maker Joe Silva is currently in talks with possible match-ups to patch the upcoming card . The bout is currently headlined by a light heavyweight championship bout between Jon Jones and title contender Dan Henderson. The event takes place in Las Vegas, NV on September 1st.
Koscheck and Ellenberger were both looking to get back on track after their most recent losses. Ellenberger had a six fight winning streak snapped when he was finished by Martin Kampmann back in June. A win over Koscheck would have put him back in the top of the division, but that is now not possible. Obviously, the easiest answer would be to pair him up with BJ Penn who recently lost his opponent Rory MacDonald due to injury as well. Unfortunately, BJ seems intent on facing Rory still. Let’s hope they find a replacement soon because this is a big loss to the 151 fight card. Plus, a win over just some other fighter will not put Ellenberger back toward the top of the division.
Here is the card as it stands now.
MAIN CARD (pay-per-view)
- Champ Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson (for light-heavyweight title)
- Jake Ellenberger vs. TBA
- Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares
- Dennis Siver vs. Eddie Yagin
- Danny Castillo vs. Michael Johnson
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
- Charlie Brenneman vs. Kyle Noke
- Jeff Hougland vs. Takeya Mizugaki
- Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo
- Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
- John Lineker vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani
- Shane Roller vs. Jacob Volkmann