twitter google

JDS vs. Velasquez II for December 29th

Looks like Alistair Overeem will have to wait even longer for a shot at the title. Earlier this weekend it was reported that Junior dos Santos will be defending his title this December 29th in Las Vegas against former UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez. Dana White confirmed the match-up at the UFC 150 post-fight press conference on Saturday.

Although no venue has been made official at this point, the bout is expected to take place at UFC 155 for the UFC’s “year-end event.”

JDS was first scheduled to fight Alistair Overeem this past May, but as everyone knows, Overeem tested for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels, and had his license suspended by the NSAC for nine months.

Earlier on this month, dos Santos mentioned to White that he would prefer to wait and fight Overeem when he came back, unfortunately that won’t be the case.

“He’s the nicest guy in the world,” White said of Dos Santos. “But he said, ‘I have nothing but respect for Cain Velasquez. I like him as a person and as a fighter, and I think he deserves the shot at the title. But I do not want to fight him,’ which is not what he said a month ago. He said, ‘Alistair Overeem is a punk. He’s got a big mouth, and he’s been saying lots of bad things about me, and I want to knock him out. I want to knock him out now.'”

Although Overeem will not be able to reapply for a license with the NSAC until at least December 27th, White still doesn’t think there’s any way for Overeem to get licensed in time for the fight. Is JDS vs. Velasquez II just as exciting for the fans though?

Share This on Facebook

Follow Caged Insider