The large welterweight, Thiago Alves has once again failed to make weight the day before his fight. This coming after Alves and camp claimed the rumor of weight cutting problems were untrue, and this was in fact “one of the easier weight cuts.” Coming in at 171 1/2, Alves was only a half pound from making weight since the commission gives one pound. The UFC has made it widely publicized that any fighter that does not make weight automatically forfeits 20% of their purse to the challenger. In this case Jon Fitch is a happy man right now.
Also, the Athletic State Commission still requires the fighter to make weight, so Alves will had to continue cutting up to the fight. We have heard reports in the past of fighters being fatigued from extended weight cutting. With Alves already being questioned in the fight due to his last loss against Fitch, and coming off of a long lay-off due to surgery, this may be another mark for odds makers. It will be interesting to see if Alves does take a loss if the UFC does not push for Alves to move up in class.
Here is the full weigh-in list
- Champ Anderson Silva (184.5) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)
- Thiago Alves (171.5)* vs. Jon Fitch (170.5)
- Ricardo Almeida (170.5) vs. Matt Hughes (170.5)
- Junior Dos Santos (240) vs. Roy Nelson (263)
- Rafael dos Anjos (156) vs. Clay Guida (156)
- Dustin Hazelett (169.5) vs. Rick Story (169.5)
- Phil Davis (205.5) vs. Rodney Wallace (206)
- Charlie Brenneman (171) vs. Johny Hendricks (171)
- Tim Boetsch (206) vs. Todd Brown (206)
- Christian Morecraft (263) vs. Stefan Struve (247)
- Dennis Hallman (171) vs. Ben Saunders (171)