Two of the biggest MMA heavyweights in the world are set to tussle as the vacated Strikeforce, K-1 and Dream heavyweight champion will look to premiere in the UFC against former champion, Brock Lesnar. UFC has verifed with “The Los Angeles Times” that the two will face-off in the main event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV, Dec. 30 (possibly UFC 141) to finish out a big year for the organization.
The bout has also been made into a five-round non-title fight with number one contender complications. The winner is already suggested to be fighting the winner of the upcoming Cain Velasquez vs Junior dos Santos fight on Fox.
It is no secret that the clamoring for the heavyweight sensation to come to the UFC has been long anticipated as many speculated how he would match-up with the UFC’s largest star.
“Our thinking when we bought Strikeforce was to give fans the fights they want,” said Fertitta. “Obviously, Alistair’s one of the best heavyweights in the world, but he also has that ‘it’ factor – the tremendous look. He’s huge. It’s a star factor.”
Overeem has been decimating in numerous other organizations with his last being in the UFC’s sister organization of Strikeforce where he avenged a loss to Fabricio Werdum via unanimous decision. Though Overeem did not look in his usual dominating fashion, he had cited numerous injuries that he has now been given time to heal.
Lesnar will be bouncing back from the loss of his title to now champion Cain Velasquez in October 2010 making it a year since stepping in the Octagon due to a serious issue of Diverticulitis. The severity called for surgery early this year causing Lesnar to take almost a year to heal.
“It’s so far from the truth it’s not even funny,” White said. “The guy’s working up on a farm in Canada all summer. He’s 100 percent.”