Former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem got back to the old ways of “The Reem” Saturday night at UFC 169, dominating Frank Mir.
Overeem (37-13) held a plus-100 advantage in terms of striking, looking like he took no damage from the former UFC heavyweight champion.
After falling victim to Antonio Silva and Travis Browne last year in bouts he was controlling, Overeem maintained a level of composure not seen as of late.
“I usually go for the knockout, but we chose to pace ourselves a little bit and make sure to secure the W,” Overeem said. “Frank is a very tough fighter, an experienced fighter. We’ve seen him trick opponents by pretending to be dazed.
“We didn’t want to make any mistakes and wanted to secure the W.”
Overall, Overeem connected on 89-percent of his strikes compared to just 19-percent by Mir. He hit him 139 times, while Mir got off just five landed strikes.
“I proved to everybody I’m back,” he added. “This victory has motivated me a lot to go back to the gym and get ready for fighting again.”
Overeem even made a call-out of sorts after the win, letting former opponent Brock Lesnar know he is still standing guard inside the Octagon.
There have been reports of Lesnar returning to MMA. He lost to Overeem in 2011 via TKO and retired from the sport.
“Word is that Brock Lesnar is coming back to the UFC,” Overeem said. “I’ll be here waiting for him.”
Front-Page Photo Credit: Joe Camporeale